Watch Out! Crossing the Street in Montclair May Cost You

Hernandez Coke
Mt. SAC student walks through crosswalk while on his phone on Tue., March 13. Photo Credit: Hernandez Coke/Sac.Media

The City of Montclair, California implemented a new code on Jan. 3, 2018 stating that “No pedestrian shall cross a street or highway while engaged in a phone call, viewing a mobile electronic device or with both ears covered or obstructed by personal audio equipment.”

Pedestrians who violate the City of Montclair’s Municipal Code 8.28.020 (A) will face up to three penalties. According to the City of Montclair’s official website, the first violation will cost one hundred dollars.

The second violation within any consecutive 12-month period will not exceed two hundred dollars. Any violation after the second, citizens will face a fine up to five hundred dollars if it occurs within a 12-month period.

Pedestrians in Montclair are restricted from using any electronic device. There are three exceptions to this law. Pedestrians may use an electronic device for emergency “911” calls and if they have prescribed hearing aids. Emergency first responders are also exempt from this law as long as the action is within the scope of their official duties.

Montclair is a 5.5-square-mile town located in San Bernardino County, approximately 30 miles east of Los Angeles. The city of Montclair has a population of about 38,000 people.