Millennials’ Guide Part 3

The world sucks… well, according to the news it does. Who even wants to pay attention to what’s going on in the world when it’s clear that everything sucks and everything is going to continue to suck.

If there was a way to toss a bucket of water at you through text, this would be it. Even though the world sucks, and it feels like it’s going to keep sucking that doesn’t mean we can be apathetic to it. Don’t catch yourself falling into the stereotype of a “dumb millennial.” Here is, yet again, another guide to news.

Still the Worst: Harvey Weinstein

As much as I don’t want to write about Harvey Weinstein again, men in power who abuse said power seems to be a trend this year (i.e. Donald Trump). And it’s a trend that needs to be addressed.

More women have stepped forward to speak out against Weinstein. At the moment, more than 80 women have come forward with allegations against Weinstein which involved sexual harassment, assault, and rape. Reading some of the accounts will make your stomach churn, and still, Weinstein has denied all accounts.

This time, we’re skipping the to-do for now, since another case of sexual assault allegations have surfaced with…

Now, Also The Worst: Kevin Spacey

BuzzFeed News broke the news that Spacey made a sexual advance toward actor, Anthony Rapp, when Rapp was 14 and Spacey was 26. Spacey later on responded to those accusations by tweeting a message to Rapp apologizing for what he’d done, but then came out as a gay man in that same tweet which received a negative reaction.

Since Rapp, more men have come forward to tell their experiences about Spacey including the son of Richard Dreyfuss and filmmaker Tony Montana. Netflix revealed that production for “House of Cards” would end, and the upcoming season would not air along with the film “Gore,” which he stars in. Spacey’s publicist and talent agency have also dropped him shortly after his publicist issued a statement saying the actor would be taking time to seek treatment for his condition.

To-Do For This Week:

Wow. It’s a lot. And shortly after Spacey and Weinstein, numerous other sexual assault cases have come to light from people in film, media, journalism, and politics too. It’s a wild ride, and one that isn’t going to be stopping anytime soon.

While there isn’t much to be done, that doesn’t mean you can’t be educated. Numerous people have been victims of sexual assault, and while coming forward is something that takes time, knowing the signs and knowing how to help those around you can be a benefit to all. Plus, if you can, also donate to RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network) and or volunteer at RAINN events.

And remember, do not allow people in power to continue to abuse that power.

Texas Shooting

It’s barely been maybe a little over a month since the Las Vegas shooting, and yet another shooting has taken place. 26 people died in Sutherland Springs, the victims between ages 5 to 72. The shooter, who was found dead in his car, has been identified as Devin Patrick Kelley. The 26-year-old was allowed to purchase the gun due to not having a disqualifying criminal history when filling out the background check paperwork in spite having a record of child and spousal assault that resulted in a year in prison and a bad conduct discharge.

To-Do For This Week: 

Actions speak louder than words. Make sure to not get caught up in the hoaxes. Call your local representatives. Sign the petitions calling for more gun control. Enough is enough.

Brazile Eats Her Words 

Thought coverage on this election was over? Well, think again. Even “American Horror Story” wasn’t able to predict Donna Brazile coming forward with an excerpt in her upcoming book that, to many, accuses the Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee of sabotaging the election, particularly for candidate Bernie Sanders.

Needless to say, Brazile’s comments have not been welcomed with the best response. Not to mention, the fact she’s said different things about the whole event takes her credibility into question.

To-Do For This Week

There really isn’t… much to do. In the words of former DNC chairman and Pennsylvania governor, Ed Rendell, to Politico, “I think what the DNC did was just awful. But we should stop talking about it; it’s passed. We can’t adjudicate it now, let’s focus on the elections Tuesday and on going forward.”

Speaking of Tuesday…

Election Day 2017!

Since last year’s election, you probably cower in fear when hearing the words “election day.” Understandable, but these elections count for a lot. While there aren’t any huge elections happening in California, the results proved to be a victory for the Democratic party after numerous Democratic leaders were elected including Virginia’s first Latina state legislators, Hala Ayala and Elizabeth Guzman, as well as the country’s first openly transgender state legislator Danica Roem.

To-Do For This Week: 

In the words of a Vox article on the election, ” Nearly two-thirds of Republican House members were first elected in 2010, and most have never even run for Congress in a world without Barack Obama in the White House. Now, the world has changed.” The world is changing. And while 2020 feels so far away, don’t forget to mark your calendars to vote.

Gone for 11 Minutes

If you thought the world felt quiet for 11 minutes, that would probably be because Donald Trump’s Twitter account went inactive for that same amount of time.

In response to the event, Trump tweeted: “My Twitter account was taken down for 11 minutes by a rogue employee. I guess the word must finally be getting out-and having an impact.”

Although there were conspiracy theories galore, it was revealed a rouge Twitter employee whose last day was that day that was behind Trump’s account going inactive.

To-Do For This Week: 

Remember to take time to be thankful for the 11 minutes Donald Trump went offline. Also, if I were you I wouldn’t be surprised if #RogueTwitterEmployee2020 became a thing for next presidential election.