A Student Publication of Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, CA

SACMedia

SACMedia

SACMedia

Arcadia Murder-Suicide, Hacienda Heights Man Sentenced 50 to Life

In Arcadia, shots were fired at 8 a..m. in an alleyway near the 800 block of Sunset Boulevard on Wednesday Aug. 1. A woman was shot by her estranged husband before he shot himself.

Both in their 40s, the woman died at the scene and the husband died at a hospital, Assistant Chief Ed Winter of the Los Angeles County coroner’s office said.

A sheriff’s spokesperson, Deputy Armando Viera Jr., said the two were married but living separately.

One sheriff’s statement said the police responded to a call of a person down, but found a man and woman in the alleyway behind an apartment with gunshot wounds.

“It appears the woman was shot by the man before the man turned the gun on himself,” the statement said. “The weapon is in custody and there is no suspect outstanding.”

A motive has not been disclosed, and their names have been withheld, pending notification to next of kin.

~***~

In Hacienda Heights, a man was sentenced 50 years to life on Aug. 1 for killing a woman three years ago. Her body was found in a cooler inside a car abandoned in West Whittier.

On July 12, the jury found Anthony Robert Moreno, 40, guilty of the first degree murder and possession of a firearm by a felon.

Jurors also found allegations that the killing was intentional and committed for the benefit of a street gang to be true.

The prosecution said Moreno shot and killed 19-year-old Huntington Beach resident Dawn McEveety in a garage in Artesia on Nov. 24, 2015.

He then placed her body in a cooler that was taken to West Whittier and left in a stolen Toyota Celica.

Deputies found the body on Nov. 29. After noticing a smell while checking out a report of an abandoned car in the 8600 block of Bradwell Avenue, they discovered McEveety inside the abandoned Celica’s cooler.