A Student Publication of Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, CA

SACMedia

SACMedia

SACMedia

Teen Shoots Man At La Mirada Children’s Party, Norwalk Suspect Flees SWAT

1026462168022016000

A La Mirada teen shot a man at a children’s party at Gardenhill Park at around 6:27 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 5.

Sgt. David McCabe said the shooting occurred after an argument and that several people at the party held him down until police took the teen into custody.

The teen, 16, shot a 28-year-old man in the hip and bottom, although it was not clear how many shots were made.

No injuries were considered life threatening and the man was reported to be in stable condition at the hospital.

~***~

A sheriff’s SWAT team was engaged in a standoff with a suspect who opened fire at 1 a.m. in the 13300 block of Rosecrans Avenue in Norwalk on Monday, Aug. 6.

Investigators determined these shots were at a business with no injuries reported.

Deputy Tracy Koerner said the man was Hispanic, in his 30s, about 5 feet 7 inches tall, and wore a gray tank top and dark pants.

Deputies followed the shooter’s vehicle to the 14300 to 14500 block of Claressa Avenue where the man ran into a property.

It is reported that he likely lived at the location, but it is unknown if there were other people in the house or if the suspect does own that home.

A SWAT team then arrived at the residence, along with deputies from Norwalk, Industry, Pico Rivera, Lakewood and Compton stations.

Investigators recovered two handguns at the scene, with a loaded handgun found in the vehicle.

At one point a sheriff’s robot was deployed at the scene, and crisis negotiators attempted to contact the man.

Nothing worked.

After eight hours sheriff’s officials reported the barricade situation as over, determining at 8:50 a.m. that the man was gone.

The suspect still remains outstanding, but is known to Norwalk LASD deputies.