A Student Publication of Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, CA

SACMedia

SACMedia

SACMedia

MEChA Fights For Neglected Indigenous People’s Fountain

Abraham Navarro
A student stands near the completely drained Indigenous Peoples Fountain. Photo Credit: Abraham Navarro/SAC.Media.

MEChA, the Chicanx Student Union on campus, has called for maintenance of the Indigenous People’s fountain on Kerr’s Corner after repeated requests to keep it maintained.

The fountain is across from the Mt. SAC library, and its mounted plaque reads: “Mt San Antonio College Associated Students dedicate this fountain to the ‘Indigenous People Of The World’ September 18, 2013.”

This is the Indigenous Peoples Fountain’s mounted plaque. Photo Credit: Abraham Navarro/SAC.Media.

The fountain is often the first thing a person sees on campus, and has been a concerning issue for Mt. SAC’s MEChA.

Co-vice chair of MEChA, Pedro Mariano Gonzalez said the club has organized in the summer to advocate for the fountain. He added that the club’s ultimate goal was to get the fountain running by the end of the semester, if not sooner.

Gonzalez is a long time member of MEChA, having been an officer for the past year, and is point person for the Fountain of the Indigenous Peoples of the World Restoration Committee. He emphasized MEChA’s need to embrace their indigenous roots.

“Identity is a big thing in MECHA and not just being Latin American and Mexican-American, we really dig to our indigenous roots,” Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez is also concerned that the fountain may be a health hazard, as mosquito larvae has grown in the water.

Indigenous Peoples Fountain remains unkempt with stagnant water at Mt. SAC. Photo Credit: Abraham Navarro/SAC.Media.

He also said that the fountain has been turned on and off without the water being cleaned.

“When they turn it on and back off, worms start growing out of it,” Gonzalez added.

The restoration of the fountain is not the only thing Mt. SAC’s MEChA is up to. The club is active on campus and hosts a Dia de los Muertos event every year. This year’s celebration is currently scheduled for Nov. 20.

MEChA is also responsible for replacing Columbus day with Indigenous Peoples day at Mt. SAC, and the club celebrated the day in front of the Indigenous People’s fountain with Danza Azteca.

For more information about MEChA, check out their Instagram, Facebook, or attend one of their weekly Thursday meetings in building 26A, room 2871 from 4 to 5:30 p.m.