Parking or The Hunger Games?

Do you know the one thing I absolutely hate about Mt. SAC?

PARKING.

The parking lot is the worst. It never fails to give me a headache or make me mad. Mt. SAC needs parking structures. There are too many students and not enough parking spaces. The parking lots have been chaotic long enough.

The first month of school is HORRIBLE. I dread it because of the parking. I had heard the stories of parking being a nightmare. On my first day of college, I got to school at 6:45 a.m. to avoid any more stress.

This is basically how it works: if you have an 8 a.m. class, you have to get to school by 7 a.m., the latest. If you get to school past 7:30 a.m., prepare to enter a war zone.

For example, this semester I decided to take a class at 9:45 a.m. and would get to school early to try and find parking. At 8:30 a.m., people are doing anything to find a spot.

Cars are illegally parked. Pedestrians are almost ran over. People are honking their horns. Cars are speeding.

People are ruthless.

I have been parked in an aisle and will be waiting for an hour for a spot to open up. There have been numerous times where cars will practically crash into me in order to get the parking spot.

Moorpark College, located in Ventura County, is a smaller community college compared to Mt. SAC. Moorpark has a total of almost 16,000 students compared to Mt. SAC’s nearly 63,000 students.

There are a few propositions for locations of possible parking lots. Mt. SAC plans to add a new three-level parking structure for the students. The new structure will include 870 new parking spaces and will be located next to the baseball field.

It is about time.

The structure still has to be approved and it hopefully will this July. The new parking lot would help reduce stress for students and faculty. It will hopefully limit the amount of accidents and traffic in the Walnut area.

One thing I will definitely NOT miss when I transfer is the parking.