A Student Publication of Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, CA

SACMedia

SACMedia

SACMedia

Wubba-Lubba-Dub-Dub! “Rick and Morty” Locked and Loaded for 70 New Adventures

994614321266147328

After weeks of fan outcry over “Rick and Morty” not being renewed for a fourth season on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim block, co-creator Justin Roiland broke news of the network’s undisputed ratings powerhouse being signed-on for 70 new episodes.

To the relief of millions of Szechuan-sauce-loving fans everywhere, who can’t get enough of drunk super genius Rick Sanchez and his adventures with his favorite grandson, “Rick and Morty” will be sticking around for a good while.

With news of the 70-episode order for the current 31-episode series, it is clear the network is aiming for broadcast syndication.

Once a television series reaches an episode milestone, which ranges between 80 to 100 episodes, it becomes eligible for other networks to purchase the rights to air reruns.

The show received critical acclaim since it premiered in 2013 for its trademark style of storytelling, which explores unexpectedly deep existential concepts through unorthodox, self-aware and loose comedy.

“Rick and Morty” has been notorious for making its viewership wait long periods to “get schwifty” again in-between seasons.

Following the show’s first season, fans had to wait through a year-long gap until season two premiered.

That wait time jumped to 18 months between the second season’s cliffhanger finale and season three’s premier, leaving fans to wonder just how long they would have to wait for season four.

While season three didn’t end on a cliffhanger this time around, the finale left many plot threads unresolved, notably the aftermath of Evil Morty’s Trump-esque rise to the presidency in the Citadel of Ricks or Birdperson and Tammy’s whereabouts after Rick collapsed the Galactic Federation.

However, no one predicted the future of this sci-fi comedy was in jeopardy.

Fans found out the status of “Rick and Morty” was in limbo after its third season when co-creator Dan Harmon revealed Cartoon Network hadn’t even ordered a fourth season yet.

Once news broke on why the show’s creators hadn’t even begun working on season four, fans came en masse to push for its swift renewal directly at Adult Swim.

While there is still no telling just how long fans will have to wait to see new adventures from the dimension-hopping duo, now that production can finally move forward, they can rest easy at least knowing there’s a fresh batch of new episodes well on their way.