A Student Publication of Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, CA

SACMedia

SACMedia

SACMedia

Women’s Basketball Take Down L.A. Trade Tech

Mt. SAC guard MyJoi Adams takes a jump shot over L.A. Trade Tech defender in the home game on Jan. 31. Photo Credit: John Athan

Mt. SAC Women’s Basketball continued their campaign to defend their second consecutive California Community College Athletic Association Championship with a 78-70 victory over Los Angeles Trade Tech on Wednesday, Jan. 31.

The Mounties looked to build on their 56-50 win over Rio Hondo on Jan. 26, which broke their two-game losing streak in conference play.

L.A. Trade Tech seemed unstoppable, coming off a five-game win streak and in first place atop the South Coast Conference North.

However, the Mounties stepped up, holding their opponents to 26 points in the first half to take a 36-26 lead into the second.  

“They drive to the basket very strong and they create problems with their quickness so we wanted to keep them out on the perimeter and make them pass the ball a little bit,” Mounties’ coach Brian Crichlow said.

Guard Dominique McLaughlin was assertive on the boards, being one rebound away from a double-double (22 points, 9 rebounds).

Forward Jonnae Vermillion (5 rebounds, 3 assists) and guard MyJoi Adams (4 rebounds, 2 assists) had dominant performances, recording a combined 35 points.

“We wanted to stop their drives, stop their shooters and we did a good job with that, holding down their best players,” Vermillion said on the Mounties’ performance.

The Mounties were relentless in the second half, extending their lead to 18 points early in the 4th quarter.

Mt. SAC out-rebounded L.A. Trade Tech by a margin of 34 to their opponent’s 17 rebounds, while holding L.A. Trade Tech bellow their scoring average.

“We stayed disciplined and stayed fundamental,” Crichlow said after the game. “We’ve been struggling a little bit with scoring in the past couple of games, but we put 78 points up and held [LA Trade Tech] to 70 when they average about 80 points so that was a good deal for us.”

With the win over L.A. Trade Tech, Mt. SAC Women’s Basketball improved to 3-2 in conference play and 19-6 overall.

The Mounties will travel to Chaffey College on Friday, Feb. 2, where they will look to sweep the Chaffey College Panthers in a rematch from January that will tipoff at 5:00 p.m.  

“[Chaffey] hustle, but if we play harder, we’ll win the ball game. They’ve gotten better since the last time we played them, so we have to pick it up,” Vermillion said.

“We’re just trying to get our confidence back, trying to get us moving in the right direction for the second half of conference and hopefully for playoffs,” Crichlow said.