A Student Publication of Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, CA

SACMedia

SACMedia

SACMedia

You Be The Judge

These are the 28 candidates vying for 11 seats for judge. Images provided by Voter’s Edge and the candidate’s campaign website. Graphic Credit: Joshua Sanchez/SAC.Media.

Update: Oct. 26, 2:35 p.m.:

This article was written for the June 5 primaries. The updated candidate roster including Supreme Court candidates, Superior Court candidates, and Second Appellate Court candidates are available on the updated version of this voter guide for the midterm election on Nov. 6.

*****

There are 11 judicial offices to be voted on for the Tuesday, June 5 primary.

These 28 candidates are running to become judges of the Superior Court of California. If a candidate receives over 50 percent of the vote, they become the Superior Court judge. If not, the top two perform a runoff vote in November.

If an incumbent judge is unopposed they are automatically re-elected, a chief judge of any given superior court is selected by peer vote serving for one or two years. The only requirement for this position is to have 10 years of experience as a judge of a court of record or as a law practitioner.

These are pages 9 and 10 of the Official Sample Ballot.

Matthew Schonbrun is a Deputy City Attorney III for the city of Los Angeles. His top three priorities are to “uphold the law and seek justice and truth” to
“remain neutral, unbiased, detached and non-political” and to “serve the public with honor and integrity,” according to Voter’s Edge.

There are photos on unverified websites, but the candidate has not provided an official photo to Ballotpedia or Voter’s Edge.

Others in Office Number 4 | Other Judicial Offices

Alfred A Coletta is a Deputy District Attorney for the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 4. He began his career in 1987, and in a year he became Deputy District Attorney, which he still is to this day.

This means he has practiced law for 31 years, and been in his position for 30 years. He has tried over 100 cases to verdict, including 42 homicides, and processed well over 1,000.

This is Alfred Coletta’s photo from his campaign website.

“I have always been committed to being prepared in each and every case I have prosecuted, always demonstrating diligence,integrity, ethics, fairness, temperance, and respect to the opposing litigant and bench officer,” Coletta’s campaign website states.

Others in Office Number 4 | Other Judicial Offices

A. Verónica Sauceda is a Superior Court Commissioner in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 4. Sauceda has been practicing law since graduating with a Juris Doctorate in 2001. She has worked as an attorney for over 13 years.

This is Veronica Sauceda’s picture from her campaign website.

” I served for over 13 years at Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles County and subsequently at the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice as a public interest attorney providing free legal representation in family law matters,” Sauceda’s campaign websites states.

****

Patricia (Patti) Hunter is a Deputy City Attorney for Los Angeles and is running for judicial seat 16.  She earned her Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Loyola Law School, and graduated in the top 2 percent of her class. She has served as federal law clerk under District Court Judge Laughlin E. Walters and has been with the city attorney office for over 28 years.

This is Patti Hunter’s header for her campaign website.

“Every day that I appear in court I have the privilege of saying ‘Patti Hunter for The People.’ I have appeared on behalf of ‘The People’ for over 24 years. Those who seek justice from the court system must be heard, respected and treated fairly,” Hunter’s campaign website states.

Others in Office Number 16 | Other Judicial Offices

Sydne Jane Michel is a Senior Deputy City Prosecutor for the city of Redondo Beach running for judicial seat 16. She has been a prosecutor for Redondo Beach since 2006, achieving the position three years later in 2009, and Hermosa Beach since 2014. Her first experience as a prosecutor was in 1995.

This is Sydne Michel’s photo on her campaign website.

“I will use my 23 years of experience across the criminal and civil court systems to bring valuable perspective to the bench. In my many years as a prosecutor, I have sometimes had to administer justice harshly to protect society. Judges must also be tough on criminals to protect society from criminal predators. That will be my top priority,” Michel’s campaign website states.

Hubert S Yun is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 16. He started in November of 2003 as an associate attorney and in July 2006 he became what he is today.

For the past six years and as of late he has been in the Hardcore Gang Division, and has tried 77 jury trials to verdicts, 30 of which involving gang murder or attempted murder.

This is Hubert Yun’s header on his campaign website.

“My legal career has encompassed extensive and complex civil and criminal litigation… I am dedicated to the fair administration of justice and believe every litigant deserves an equal opportunity to present their case in court in order to ensure a just result,” Yun’s campaign website states.

****

Wendy Segall is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 20. She has served as an attorney for 28 years, and was hired to County District Attorney in 1995. She is one of the lead prosecutors for stalking and threat cases that lead to sexual assault and murder.

She also served the community through ten years on MOSTe, Motivating Our Students Through Experience, a program that guides and mentors underprivileged girls to attend and succeed in college and beyond. She has also served as a proctor for the Teen Court Program, an alternative to Juvenile Court for non-serious crimes.

This is Wendy Segall’s picture on her campaign website.

“Despite the highly charged and emotional events surrounding these unique types of cases, she has honed her ability to remain impartial and fair, even while serving as a zealous advocate. Ms. Segall is mindful the cases are about victims, witnesses, defendants, and the truth,” Segall’s campaign website states.

Others in Office Number 20 | Other Judicial Offices

Mary Ann Escalante is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 20. She has been in this position for over 30 years, and has worked in the Hardcore Gang Unit, trying 34 murder cases and obtained justice for victims in over 100 jury trials according to her website.

This is Mary Escalante’s picture from her campaign website.

“As a Superior Court Judge I will: Demonstrate the highest degree of honesty and integrity. Be mindful of public safety while protecting the rights of all parties… and I will always follow the law,” her campaign website states.

****

Ben Colella is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 60.  He has had over 28 years of experience, and has prosecuted thousands of cases yearly in juvenile court, with over fifty jury trials.

This is Ben Colella’s photo for his campaign website,

“To treat each courtroom visitor with the respect and dignity they deserve, and to require that all lawyers be civil to each other, to hear both sides, to be fair, impartial, and unbiased, and to make decisions according to California law, and the laws of the Supreme Court of the United States, and to use restorative justice where possible,” Colella’s campaign website states.

Others in Office Number 60 | Other Judicial Offices

Holly L. Hancock is an Attorney at Law running for judicial seat 60. She received her Juris Doctor from Southwestern University School of Law in 2004. She has 12 years of experience as defense counsel, and tried to verdict 55 cases: 34 felonies, 29 acquittals in felonies, and 18 misdemeanors.

This is Holly Hancock’s picture on Voter’s Edge.

“If elected, I am interested in pursuing rehabilitation and reconciliation in sentencing as a priority. The youth of our county need to be prepared to enter adult life, I will endeavor in my review of juvenile cases to make their prepation (sic) a priority. Looking at all sides of the issues involved, listening to the attorneys with respect and dignity,” Hancock told Voter’s Edge.

Tony J Cho is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 60. For thirteen years he tried 70 jury trials and for the last five years he prosecuted crimes against Elder Abuse, or crimes against the elderly and dependent adults.

This is Tony Cho’s header for his website.

” I have handled hundreds of felony cases that involved our most vulnerable victims. I prosecuted each case with integrity and respect to all the parties involved, upholding the highest standard of justice,” Cho’s campaign website states.

****

Anthony Lewis is an Attorney at Law running for judicial seat 63. He has been practicing law for around 20 years, and he graduated law school in 1999 after serving as a student attorney. In 2008, he opened the Lewis Law Firm and his work has been in protecting clients from civil rights violations, including retaliation, harassment, and discrimination.

This is Anthony Lewis’s header for his campaign website.

“Civil rights are meaningless if they cannot be enforced in the courts with jury trials,” Lewis quotes himself as saying on his campaign website.

Others in Office Number 63 | Other Judicial Offices

Malcom H Mackey is a Judge of the LA Superior Court running for judicial seat 63. He opened an office as a single practitioner in 1959, and in 1960 he tried to obtain clemency instead of death and eventually brought the case to the Supreme Court.

The case, People v. Billy Monk, he took on pro-bono, and he also joined Trial Lawyers (now a Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles). He was elected to the Los Angeles Municipal Court in 1978 and became the presiding Judge for 1985-1986.

He was elected to the Superior Court in 1988. He has served in some legislative capacity for 39 years. He is seeking re-election.

This is Malcolm Mackey’s header of his campaign website.

“He enjoyed his job handling civil cases, which approximately 500 cases and 35 new cases a month. He feels that he help people solve their problem with the government and with each other,” Mackey’s campaign website states.

****

Maria Lucy Armendariz is a Judge of the State Bar Court running for judicial seat 67. She was admitted to the California State Bar in 1997, and has served as counsel on the Assembly Committee on Public Safety, Ombudsman on the CA Department of Corrections, and counsel on the Senate Committee of Public Safety.

She has been a District Director & Counsel on the Committee on Correctional System, and became a Judge of the State Bar Court of California in San Francisco. She is on the board of directors of Leadership California and a member of HOPE, Hispanics Organized for Political Equality.

This is Lucy Armendariz’s photo on her campaign website.

“She knows that her decisions as a judge have real world consequences for the individuals who appear before her, and she brings that compassion to the bench with her every day. Judge Armendariz envisions a court where everyone has equal access to the law,” her campaign website states.

Others in Office Number 67 | Other Judicial Offices

Onica Valle Cole is an Attorney and mother running for judicial seat 67. She has served 15 years as a prosecutor, and passed the bar in 1998.

She was assigned to a vertical prosecution unit from February 2009 to June 2017, which focused on Consumer crimes. She is also a volunteer at Mentoring Our Student Through Experience, MOSTe, as a mentor and board member.

This is Onica Cole’s photo on her campaign website.

“Onica volunteers as a Temporary Judge for the Los Angeles Superior Court and is regularly called upon to fulfill the duties of a judge. She is supported in her run by bench officers familiar with her trial skills and reputation,” Cole’s campaign website states.

Dennis P Vincent is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 67. He graduated third in his law school class at the University of La Verne where he earned his Juris Doctor in 1994. He has 23 years experience in felony and misdemeanor courtrooms.

This is Dennis Vincent’s photo on Voter’s Edge.

“As the Alternative Sentencing Court for the District Attorney’s Office in the Antelope Valley, I have years of experience screening cases and recommending appropriate programs for non-violent offenders,” Vincent told Voter’s Edge.

****

David A Berger is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 71. He has 22 years experience, most of it with violent crime. In 2011 he was a Trial and Calendar deputy in department two of the Beverly Hills Courthouse. He previously ran for judge in 2016 and amassed 1.3 mil votes, and lost by a 4 percent margin.

This is David Berger’s header from his campaign website.

“In my career as a prosecutor I’ve tackled every kind of crime; from misdemeanors to murders, and I have always treated all parties concerned, whether they be victims, witnesses, law enforcement officers, or defense attorneys with respect, but also with a firm and fair hand that ensures that justice is served,” Berger’s campaign website states.

Others in Office Number 71 | Other Judicial Offices

Danielle R. A. Gibbons is a Superior Court Commissioner in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 71. She has 18 years of experience, and her campaign website says she is already doing the job of a judge. She is a former experienced trial attorney and juvenile advocate, a partner at Gibbons, Gibbons & Gibbons, that represented over 1,000 juveniles and adults.

This is Danielle Gibbons’ header on her campaign website.

“I am a Superior Court Commissioner currently presiding over a Domestic Violence Prevention Act family law calendar hearing domestic violence, gun violence, school violence, workplace violence, civil harassment and elder abuse restraining orders at the Norwalk Superior Court. I am already doing the job of a judge,” her campaign website states.

****

Steven Schreiner is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 113. He earned his Juris Doctor in 1984 from the University of Santa Clara, and specializes in gang homicide. He has been a Deputy District Attorney since 1987.

Previously he was a Legal Aide as a Santa Clara County Public Defender from 1984 to 1986, and a Law Clerk for Baker, Brauer, Saldivar and Pastelle from 1983 to 1984.

This is Steven Schreiner’s photo on Voter’s Edge.

His top three priorities are to “Ensure public safety” to ensure “fairness to all parties” and to enact “efficient administration of justice” according to Voter’s Edge.

Others in Office Number 113 | Other Judicial Offices

Michael P Ribons is an arbitrator and lawyer running for judicial seat 113. He has been a judge pro tem for the Los Angeles County Superior Court and Ventura County Superior Court. As a judge pro tem, he has presided over 7,500 court cases. He has also been a mediator for the Los Angeles County Superior Court.

This is Michael Ribons’ photo on his campaign website.

“In all of my legal capacities one principle has shined through – whether you are a victim of discrimination, a tenant who has been wrongfully evicted or a small business just trying to succeed – everyone deserves equal access to justice. I am ready to do my part and serve you on the LA County Superior Court,” Ribons’ campaign website states.

Javier Perez is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 113. He became a district attorney 27 years ago, and has served throughout Los Angeles County, working in Norwalk and Pomona courthouses, he also served as a supervisor in the East Los Angeles and West Covina courthouses and Pomona Juvenile office.

This is Javier Perez’s photo on his campaign website.

“It is my earnest hope that, by drawing from my own life experiences and the many years I’ve spent in the judicial system, I might be able to bring integrity, discipline, respect, humility, patience, empathy, fairness, fortitude and incisive judgment to the bench,” Perez’s campaign website states.

****

Troy Davis is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 118. Davis started as a law clerk at the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office in 2005, and in 2008 he became a Deputy District Attorney. He has had several cases avoid trial to ensure the best for everyone involved, including the taxpayers of Los Angeles county.

This is Troy Davis’ header on his campaign website.

“Mr. Davis also understands that our system of justice has been built on the right of all citizens to remain innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. He is keenly aware of incidents of wrongful convictions, so he is always mindful of seeking convictions as dictated by the evidence,” Davis’ campaign website states.

Others in Office Number 118 | Other Judicial Offices

David D Diamond is an attorney running for judicial seat 118. He had practiced law for 18 years, and has litigated criminal civil and family law matters. He is a State Bar Certified Criminal Law Specialist and has served as a Judge Pro Tem for the Los Angeles Superior Court.

This is David Diamond’s photo on Voter’s Edge.

“I find myself both humbled and honored to have the opportunity to seek a judicial position after many years of legal experience and training to better serve my community,” Diamond’s campaign website states.

****

Shlomo Frieman is an attorney running for judicial seat 126. He has been an Los Angeles County Superior Court Volunteer Temporary Judge. Previously he has been a Senior Associate Patent Counsel for Unocal from 1988 to 1999, an Associate at Sheldon & Mak from 1986 to 1988, and a Senior Attorney and Special Counsel for Beckman Instruments Inc. from 1976 to 1986.

This is Shlomo Frieman’s photo on Voter’s Edge.

His top three priorities are to “execute judicial duties competently and fairly in a respectful and courteous manner” to “provide fair justice for all” and to “make suggestions for improving legal system whenever appropriate” according to Voter’s Edge.

Others in Office Number 126 | Other Judicial Offices

Ken Fuller is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 126. He has been J.A.G Captain of the United States Air Force Reserve, and has tried 75 jury trials and 150 court trials. He has  also handled thousands of cases in the Superior Court.

He has experience as Military In-House Counsel and as a prosecutor of gang violence, environmental crimes, child molestation, elder abuse, and domestic violence.

This is Ken Fuller’s header on his campaign website.

“Ken has impressively handled thousands of criminal cases and has tried more than a hundred cases to verdict over a legal career that spans thirteen years in adult, juvenile and military courts and has a favorable jury trial verdict of over 90%. He was awarded the coveted American Trial Lawyers Association Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy from the United States Air Force JAG Corp in 2013,” Fuller’s campaign website stated.

Rene Caldwell Gilbertson is a Senior Deputy County Counsel in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 126. She has been serving for 24 years, and works primarily in the area of juvenile law to prevent child abuse and neglect.

She was a Staff Attorney at The Alliance for Children’s Rights, and became the Interim Executive DIrector in 1995. In 1996, she started representing children in the juvenile dependency arena.

This is Rene Gilbertson’s photo on her campaign website.

“For the past 24 years, Ms. Gilbertson has worked primarily in the area of juvenile law, to prevent child abuse and neglect and to ensure that necessary services are provided to children and families,” Gilbertson’s campaign website states.

****

Emily Theresa Spear is a Deputy District Attorney in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 146. She has 11 years of experience, and has prosecuted gang crimes, crimes against children, sex crimes, and domestic violence.

She received Deputy District Attorney of the Year for her month long trial to convict Carol Coronado guilty of killing her three infant daughters. Coronado pled not guilty by reason of insanity, but was found to be sane and found guilty.

This is Emily Spear’s photo on her campaign website.

“In my eleven years as a Deputy District Attorney, I have handled 58 jury trials, one complex court trial involving three counts of infanticide, and over a dozen juvenile adjudications,” Spear’s campaign website states.

Others in Office Number 146 | Other Judicial Offices

Armando Durón is a Superior Court Commissioner in the county of Los Angeles running for judicial seat 146. He was elected by the Superior Court judges in 2015, and his first assignment was to hear solely Domestic Violence Restraining Order Requests.

Prior to his appointment, he represented clients in family law cases for over 30 years, and worked in Legal Aid in East Los Angeles according to his campaign website.

This is Armando Duron’s photo on his campaign website.

One of his top three priorities is to “Serve with the management skills which I already possess, to handle a busy calendar while at the same time making sure that every litigant believe he or she has been heard when they walk out of my courtroom” according to Voter’s Edge.

****

The primary is Tuesday, June 5.