A Student Publication of Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, CA

SACMedia

SACMedia

SACMedia

Two Shot Near Industry’s Azusa Avenue

Two women were shot at 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 21, in front of a home near Azusa Avenue at Sandalwood Avenue and Gemini Street.

That section of the street where the two were shot is near the boundary of five areas.

Valinda is to the northwest, La Puente is to the west, Industry is to the south, West Covina is to the north and northeast, and South San Jose Hills surrounds the area and extends to the east.

The Industry Sheriff’s Station received a call about a gunshot victim in the 100 block of North Azusa Avenue in West Covina, 4.3 miles north of the where the victims told deputies the shooting had taken place.

One woman had been shot in the abdomen while a second had a graze wound to the head, Lt. Kevin Walk of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Operation Safe Streets unit said.

That unit is the department’s gang unit, and the instance is thought to be gang related although investigators are still looking into the motive.

Walk said one victim was treated and released while the other remained hospitalized.

Walk said it seemed like one of the victims knew the suspect, Kenia Perez, 20, of Valinda.

Perez was booked on suspicion of murder after deputies tracked her down and arrested her at around 1 a.m on Wednesday, Aug. 22 in the 200 block of Shipman Avenue in South San Jose Hills.

She is being held on $1 million bail at the Industry station jail, and is scheduled for an arraignment Friday, Aug. 24 at the West Covina Superior Court.

SGVT’s Ruby Gonzales first broke this story.

*****

Update Aug. 26 at 5:15 p.m.:

Corrected compass directions and added the nearby city boundary of La Puente.